Here at The Healthy Living and Fitness, we are committed to our readers and their health which is why we like to bring awareness to the mistakes that many homeowners make when it comes to
Here at The Healthy Living and Fitness, we are committed to our readers and their health which is why we like to bring awareness to the mistakes that many homeowners make when it comes to the cleanliness of their chimney. After all, the number of stoves and fireplaces in use tends to increase as the temperatures drop and it is essential that property owners have their chimney swept in preparation. Read on as we go over some of the health benefits that can be obtained from regular chimney sweeping…
What is creosote build-up?
When carbon-based fuels are burned, they release gases and soot which are removed from a property via the chimney. As they rise, they cool and condense on the sides of the flue and build up a flammable substance known as creosote. Although it is safe in small quantities, thick deposits of creosote can catch alight and start a very dangerous chimney fire and when a chimney is swept by a professional, the amount of creosote is reduced in order to prevent such situations from occurring.
How are the by-products created during combustion removed?
Carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide are two gases that are created during the burning of carbon-based fuels like coal and firewood and they are typically removed by the chimney flue. With this said, thick levels of creosote can reduce the amount of space that is available, preventing the gases from being deposited outside of the home effectively. As a result, some gas may remain inside the home and can put the respiratory health of homeowners at risk, however regularly chimney sweeping ensures that the flue does not become blocked by soot and creosote.
Why is carbon monoxide so dangerous?
The incomplete combustion of coal and firewood can lead to the creation of carbon monoxide (CO) instead of carbon dioxide and the presence of this gas can put homeowners at risk when the ventilation of a property is not adequate enough due to thick creosote build-up. After all, CO is notoriously difficult to detect because it is tasteless, odourless and colourless; in high levels it gradually enters the bloody stream, replaces the oxygen molecules and causes carbon monoxide poisoning. Luckily, a CO detector often alerts homeowners to presence of carbon monoxide before they start to develop serious symptoms like fainting, headaches, nausea and dizziness and a routine chimney sweeping service will ensure that CO is safely removed via the chimney.
Although it may seem like an inconvenience, a chimney only needs to be swept twice a year by a professional who knows what they are doing. As a result, homeowners are able to make full use of their stove or fireplace without worrying about the possibility of a dangerous creosote ignited chimney fire! To find out which fuel is suitable for your burning requirements this winter, get in contact with the best coal merchants on the market and speak to a member of the Pearson Fuels team today!