Protein! It saves us from that horrible mid afternoon slump where we start thinking about doing a quick scoot to the vending machine. It’s easy to turn to sweets, chocolate and sugary drinks when we need a little pick-me-up especially when we’re at work or juggling kids with a busy errand schedule, but the best way to get that boost is by eating a protein rich snack. Here are some quick and tasty ideas to keep you going until tea time!
- Half a cup of cottage cheese topped with half a cup of banana (or mixed berries if you don’t like banana)
- A handful of almonds
- A handful of pistachios
- A handful of pumpkin seeds
- A hard boiled egg
- A tablespoon of peanut butter and half an apple, sliced into dipping fingers
- A cup of edamame beans, steamed
- A tablespoon of houmous with veggie dippers (think celery, peppers, peas)
- A brown rice cake topped with peanut butter
- 6 small cubes of sharp cheddar and 6 big green grapes (make a lil’ fruit kebab!)
- 2 small slices of turkey with a handful of cranberries (Ho, ho, ho!)
See… Were there any there that you didn’t realise had protein in? And none of the above sounds boring or plain either. Some people think it’s as simple as grabbing a protein bar, but lots of those options are packed full of sugar and calories, not to mention chemicals and additives you can’t even pronounce. You might as well have bought a bar of chocolate!